Zoo Pets Pty Ltd is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) for Australia as well as the Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 1993 for New Zealand (together referred to as the “Principles”). The Principles define personal information as information or an opinion relating to an individual which can be used to identify that individual (such as name, address, telephone number, email address), and are designed to protect the confidentiality of personal information and the privacy of individuals by regulating the way personal information is managed.
1. What type of personal information do we collect and what happens if we do not receive the information requested?
Zoo Pets collects personal information that is necessary to review employment applications, maintain our relationships with our business customers, administer any award should there be a reward program, promotion or competition we may run, market our products, and deal with enquiries and complaints regarding those products.
The personal information we collect for promotional and business purposes is often limited to contact details (name, address, email address, phone number). We may collect date of birth details if a person is required to be above a certain age to take part in a promotion. We may also collect personal information submitted to us as part of a promotional activity which may include photographs, video images and other material.
If you apply for a job with Zoo Pets, we will collect information related to your employment history and may ask you to undertake a medical examination. You consent to our use of this medical information which forms part of our recruitment process and Application of Employment.
If you lodge a complaint with us about a product, we will record details of the complaint including which particular Zoo Pet products you have used and the nature of the complaint (which may include in appropriate circumstances your or your pet’s health information). You consent to our use of this health information for the purposes of dealing with your complaint.
If you apply for credit for product purchases with Zoo Pets, we will collect your contact details and may collect information in relation to your business, assets and credit history for the purposes of considering your application.
If you do not wish to give us personal information as requested, then our ability to meet our obligations to you or provide services or information to you may be adversely affected.
2. How do we collect and hold personal information?
We usually collect personal information directly from the individual to whom the information relates. However there are some instances when we collect personal information from individuals. For example, we collect personal information about prospective employees from resumes which they provide or alternatively personal information may be provided by a recruitment agency. Also, we may collect personal information from any medical professional carrying out medical examinations that are part of the interview process.
In some circumstances we may receive personal information (such as an email address or an image of a person or their pet) from someone who takes part in one of our promotions and sends to us personal information about themselves and their pets and also that of other people and their pets. Other circumstances when personal information may be collected by someone else include information collected through our agencies running competitions, Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social media. We will endeavour to inform anyone whose personal information we collect from a third party that we have collected that information as soon as practicable. Otherwise, we will take steps to try to ensure the third party who provided this information to us has done so.
Personal information about our business customers is usually collected from direct contact between those customers and our sales representatives.
We hold personal information in electronic and hard copy files.
3. Why does Zoo Pets collect personal information?
Zoo Pets is a leading Australian company. As a matter of conducting its routine business, Zoo Pets may collect the following types of personal information:
When you look at a Zoo Pets operated website, the Internet Service Provider of our parent company makes a record of your visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes:
· Your server address;
· Your top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc);
· The pages you accessed and documents downloaded;
· The previous site you have visited; and
· The type of browser you are using.
Zoo Pets will not make an attempt to identify users or their browsing activities. However, in the unlikely event of an investigation, a law enforcement agency or other government agency may exercise its legal authority to inspect our parent company’s Internet Service Provider’s logs.
Zoo Pets will only record your e-mail address if you send us a message. Your e-mail address will only be used or disclosed for the purpose for which you have provided it and it will not be added to a mailing list or used or disclosed for any other purpose without your consent.
Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting have been enabled on some Zoo Pets operated websites and as a result personal information about users such as age, gender and interests may be collected. Such information will only be used or disclosed for the purpose of better understanding users and identify how experience and interaction can be improved and will not be used or disclosed for any other purpose without your consent.
On occasion people employed by Zoo Pets, or contractors working on behalf of Zoo Pets, may access this personal information at the source of collection for the purpose of verifying data.
4. How we collect personal information about consumers
We collect personal information about consumers in a number of ways, including where you:
(i) take part in our competitions or other activities to promote our products;
(ii) are nominated in any award program we may promote; or
(iii) lodge a complaint/inquiry about our products.
We collect information either electronically (eg. in an e-mail), where you send it to us as a hard copy document or where you provide it verbally (over the phone or in person).
5. How your personal information will be managed
Zoo Pets will take reasonable commercial steps to ensure that all information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up to date and relevant and protected from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We will also take reasonable steps to ensure that all personal information is stored in a secure environment accessed only by authorised persons.
We will, where permitted by law, destroy or permanently de-identify personal information that is no longer needed.
6. How does Zoo Pets use personal information and to whom may Zoo Pets disclose it?
The Principles generally require Zoo Pets to use personal information only for the primary purpose for which it is collected, or for secondary purposes that are related to the primary purpose.
Personal information collected and held by Zoo Pets may be used for one or more of a variety of purposes depending on the circumstances. These include:
In general, Zoo Pets will use the personal information provided to us for one or more of the following purposes (depending on the circumstances):
· Normal sales and customer service functions including order processing and fulfillment, accounting, and responding to enquiries or complaints;
· Zoo Pet’s marketing and market research.
· To provide products or services (including advice) that have been requested;
· Review employment applications;
· Maintain and develop our business relationships with our business customers;
· Respond to, and analyse, complaints and enquiries regarding Zoo Pets products;
· Administer award programs, promotions and competitions we may run from time to time;
· Participate in customer research, marketing campaigns and promotions run by other companies that may promote and/or supply our products and services;
· Notify you from time to time of alternative or additional products and services Zoo Pets may provide; and
· Fulfil all legal and regulatory requirements of Zoo Pets
Zoo Pets discloses personal information to
· Third parties, including its associated Companies, within or outside of Australia or New Zealand, including but not limited to: USA and Canada to help Zoo Pets improve its products and services.
· Organisations with which we run or organise promotions, competitions or award
· Retailers and other customers of Zoo Pets, and suppliers of Zoo Pets, for the purpose of promotions they may run relating to Zoo Pets products; programs or which supply a prize or reward;
· Retailers and other customers of Zoo Pets for the purpose of obtaining consumer research services;
· Any contractor Zoo Pets arranges to provide mailing services;
· Any contractor Zoo Pets engages for web-hosting or other website related services;
· As we may be required or permitted to do by law;
· Or otherwise with your consent.
Generally, we require that organisations outside Zoo Pets who handle or obtain personal information as service providers to Zoo Pets acknowledge the confidentiality of this information, undertake to respect an individual’s right to privacy and comply with the Principles and this Policy.
In most cases, if you do not provide information about yourself which Zoo Pets has requested, Zoo Pets may not be able to provide you with the relevant service or information required.
7. Sensitive information is subject to greater restrictions
Some personal information collected by Zoo Pets is considered “sensitive”.
The Principles require that sensitive information is used and disclosed only for the purposes for which it was provided, or a directly related secondary purpose, unless you agree otherwise or for other specific reasons such as if the use or disclosure of this information is required by law or to prevent a serious and imminent threat to life or health of an individual.
Zoo Pet’s interactions with you are also regulated by the Spam Act 2003 in Australia and the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007 in New Zealand. In compliance with these Acts, Zoo Pets will not send you a commercial electronic message to you unless permitted.
9. Accessing personal information that Zoo Pets holds about you
You can, in most cases, access the personal information Zoo Pets holds about you. If you wish to do so, please contact Zoo Pets as set out below.
10. Updating personal information that Zoo Pets holds about you
Zoo Pets endeavours to ensure that the personal information it holds is accurate, complete and up-to-date. Please contact Zoo Pets if you believe that the information Zoo Pets holds about you requires changing or becomes out-of-date. Zoo Pet’s contact details are set out below.
12. What if you have an enquiry?
13. How to complain about a privacy breach and how will Zoo Pets deal with such a complaint?
If you believe that Zoo Pets has breached the Principles you may complain in writing to our Marketing Department (see contact details below). Zoo Pets will respond within thirty (30) days and will use its best endeavour to resolve the issue.
If you are unsatisfied with Zoo Pet’s answer, you may take your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner as detailed on http://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/privacy-complaints or to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner for New Zealand as detailed on http://www.privacy.org.nz/your-privacy/how-to-complain/
How to contact us for requests for Zoo Pets in Australia and New Zealand
Zoo Pets Pty Ltd
Unit 4, 3 Terrace Road
North Richmond NSW 2754